MoCCA Fest Spoils Pt. I* + MiniRecap
(Description of the books below, if you skip my rambling)
I had a mixed mocca (my 2nd) - there were times where I was pretty bummed out, but also times that I was having a riot of a time. The whole thing was very informative to me though, and I came away with some ideas for the next couple shows I attend, including:
- Don’t chain yourself behind the table. Day 1, I was so obsessed with being physically present behind my stuff that I think I only took one break when nature’s call became inescapable and my stomach was consuming itself from hunger around 4pm. Unsurprisingly, Day 1 was not super fun for me and I didn’t make many sales, probably because I was emitting some intense hangry vibes. On Day 2, I had a real breakfast and also took time to visit friends and buy cool stuff. The second I freed myself from my table, everything changed and I had an awesome time Sunday.
- Better production value and/or covers! I’ve been neglecting this aspect of making comics and zines, tbh. But no one will buy a comic if they don’t feel compelled to open up the cover. ‘Nuff said.
- Pay the damned fee and bring a checked bag. I traveled light. REALLY LIGHT. Subsequently, I shipped half my goods to Mocca tightly stuffed into a small box. I didn’t have room on my person to carry onto the plane any sort of presentation aids to elevate books or display a sign. Thus, it was hard to show everything I brought in a way that was appealing/efficient. Next time, I’ll buy or make something to display comics vertically and pay the dumb $25 bag fee so I can pack it along.
- Oh, and print more business cards. People love free business cards. I always run out.
Now to the cool shiz.
Islands 5 by KJ Martinet
Ant Colony by Michael Deforge
Number 1 by Box Brown
Acanthity by Emily Smith
Hotblood! Volume 1 by Toril Orlesky
Wicked Chicken Queen by Sam Alden - This one is probably my favourite thing I brought back from Mocca. I read it while stressing out on an empty train platform but it still really resonated with me somehow. Something about it was really appealing but also disturbing to me, in the best way. I don’t want to spoil it for y’all, so just go buy it, K?
That’s it for now! Now back to work.
* Half my stuff is still in the mail.